01 August 2008

If you're gonna eat some calories, I suggest this treat!


Years ago, my sister Melanie came up with this REALLY great tart recipe. Besides being with family, we all loved it when we got together because she would usually make some tarts. It was kind of this big mystery how she did it. One day, while I was having a pregnancy induced craving, I needed some tart! So, I called her up and got the recipe and she was very glad to pass it on. And truthfully it is not that hard! It is just a two step process. As a warning, it does call for a lot of egg!

CRUST (this makes two 9 inch crusts)
-1 cup butter room temperature
-1 cup sugar
-1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-4 egg yolks
-2 3/4 cup floor
-1/8 teaspoon salt

*you mix the butter and sugar together for about 3 minutes. add vanilla and one egg yolk at a time, mixing together in-between. add salt and floor all at once and mix together (it will be crumbly). divide the dough into two and you can immediately roll it out to make two crusts or you can freeze one portion of the dough or both and save till later. I find it easiest to roll out the dough on some wax paper. It makes it easier when flipping the dough into the pan.

FILLING (this only makes filling for ONE tart. What you can do, since the dough recipe makes two crusts is, freeze one portion of crust dough and save it for later or just double the filling recipe if you want two tarts)
-1 cup milk
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1/2 cup sugar
-3 egg yolks
-1 tablespoon cornstarch
-1 tablespoon floor
-1 teaspoon butter
-1/2 cup un-whipped heavy whipping cream

*Take dry ingredients and mix. add milk and cook over stove top until boiling. take part of boiling mixture and put into a separate bowl and add egg yolks. mix egg mixture with a fork quickly. then add egg mixture back to stove top mixture and boil. take off heat and add vanilla and butter. place in fridge until cooled completely. then whip 1/2 cup whipping cream and add to filling mixture when it is completely cooled (if not you're whipping cream will melt and the filling will be runny).

*Then of course you put the filling into the crust and decorate with whatever fruits you love! It works best if you have a tart pan, but you can do it with a pie pan. If you use a pie pan, the crust won't go all the way up the pie pan edges. It will probably only go up about halfway, which is fine because there isn't enough filling to fill a whole pie pan. Tart pans are much shorter. ENJOY (and if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them)!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Thank you! This really is the best recipe. I can't wait to try it.

Sarah Johnson said...

Alright. On your suggestion, maybe I will. Any pregnancy-induced cravings for curly fries and raspberry milkshakes? Or popcorn popped with a liter of oil? (don't tell me your forgot that one)Other very good ways to get your calories.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much... I've been thinking about this ever since you made it for us. I'm going to make it for family night tomorrow.