06 June 2011

Living room make-over

I have not so secretly been trying to get rid of our couches since Andrew and I got married. My sister gave them to us when we moved into our first apartment. Although I was grateful we didn't have to buy couches, I have never loved them. My plan was to off load them before moving to Washington. But, somehow they ended up coming with us. It was at this point I realized they were here to stay. In reality, it was just the fabric design I didn't like. This left one solution; reupholstering. So, over the last three months, I have been spending all my free time reupholstering our 2 couches and 2 ottomans. I am so happy to say about a week ago I officially finished! I gave a big smile when I tossed the last of the blue floral fabric out.

Before;

After;


Considering my sewing machine hadn't been pulled out in 12 years, no exaggeration, this was quite the project for me. I am still doing some work on the green and orange pillows and am hoping to get those done before Little Tank decides to make his appearance.

And a slight confession. I ended up re-redoing the piano bench. Luckily piano benches take about a half an hour to reupholster.

Before.2;

After;


I'm a sucker for animal print and this one has some great texture. Whew! Thank goodness that is all over!

4 comments:

hairyshoefairy said...

Holy cow! I'm impressed! I'm dying to learn how to upholster and have no idea even where to start. How did you figure it out? Online tutorials? Friends who know? The new look is awesome.

Anonymous said...

You are so skilled! I'm jealous.

Clay and Katy said...

Melissa that is awesome! Wow...they look like completely different couches! I am very impressed! Love the pillows too!

Mary said...

Amazing job. Hope all is going well and that little tank makes a safe arrival.