For our first Thanksgiving, Andrew and I were on our own and decided it would be fun if we did the whole Thanksgiving spread. We each had requests of what we wanted to have for dinner and one of Andrew's was homemade rolls. Since I was tackling my first turkey (stuffing and all), Andrew was in charge of the home made rolls. His rolls turned out beautifully. So light and fluffy.
It seemed easy enough, so a little while later, I started a series of sad attempts at making homemade rolls. I have tried four times and each time time was a slight variation on disaster. Now, four times may not sound like I've given it much effort, but I can assure you that each attempt has been given calculated concentration and the old college try on my part. At first, I thought maybe it was our apartment that was the problem, (our first apartment was quite cold and damp and I came to the conclusion this is why my rolls would not rise). After all, I followed the recipe to a T. Considering that our new apartment is not cold or damp, I was excited that somewhere down the line I could finally make rolls that would rise. However, this past weekend I attempted making rolls again with the same unfruitful result, flat as pancakes. Quite the opposite of light and fluffy. Here are some pics to prove it. Unless anyone has some tips that will solve all my bread making problems , I think I'm about to throw in the kitchen towel. I'll just have to make sure I drive my kids by a bread factory so they know how wonderful the smell of freshly made bread is.

4 comments:
That is so funny! If you're having problems with your rolls rising - which is usually my problem - maybe try this recipe. They rise in a slightly warm oven so you don't have to worry about the weather conditions of your house. And if that doesn't work for you, maybe just have Andrew do all the roll/bread making for your family.
Sorry woman. I thought for sure you'd ace it this time around. Really, you must be missing something fundamental. You've got me stumped. However, the pancake rolls actually looked pretty good to me. Hope you didn't throw em out. Next time, save em and drop by 12 manor drive. I'm sure we could make good use of em!
The rolls do look yummy. Don't give up quite yet. My first attempts at bread making were a bust too. It turned out my yeast was too old. I will send you the yummy recipe Mary gave me. They are fabulous and really easy.
I was going to send you my recipe but it looks like Hannah beat me to it. If that doesn't work maybe have Andrew make them again and watch him close, there may be one little thing that is the difference. Otherwise I'd say Andrew just inherited a new job around the house:).
Post a Comment