16 March 2011

Big girl everything

I was dreading the day I would have to take potty training seriously. The idea of being confined to home, dealing with accidents, scoping out public restrooms, and taking Bug potty 50 times a day for all serious alerts and false alarms seemed like a big commitment. However, when we moved to Washington I knew the time had come.

This is how it really went. Bug excitedly picked out some "lady" aka princess underwear. I had no idea one could get so excited over underwear. It was at this exact moment I knew I had to be serious about this. I started panicking at the thought of my week long confinement and forever having to know where the nearest public restroom was. That night Andrew put on a show for her to watch while she sat on the potty and fifteen minutes later she went to the bathroom! She of course got handsomely rewarded with candy and lots of praise. Then off to bed she went. The next morning I did the same thing and she had numerous successes. After that, Bug flat out refused to wear anything but her lady underwear. No pull ups and certainly no diapers. Apparently, those are just insulting in comparison. She's only had one accident at home, no problem using public restrooms and most times goes to the bathroom on her own. I have no idea what I was worrying about and love the fact I haven't had to buy diapers in months!

After this, I quickly realized how odd it was having a potty trained child using a pacifier at night. That habit obviously had to go. Little Bug was more than willing to exchange her pacifier use for a big girl bed. She had a ball picking out her bedding and mattress and upheld her end of the bargain by handing over the pacifiers. She happily take naps in her big girl bed, but hasn't yet mustered up enough courage for an overnight in it. Since the potty training, no pacifier and big girl bed development all happened within a two week period, I am more than happy to put her to bed in the crib. It makes me feel like there is still a little baby in her after all.

Now the only problem is, since potty training, Bug has realized how freeing it is to be without clothes. It is hard to get clothes on this girl to leave the house and as soon as we're home, the clothes are off! Hence the top picture.

4 comments:

hairyshoefairy said...

Peanut has been potty trained for a couple of years now and she'd still prefer to wander around in just her underpants, occasionally with the addition of a slip.

What a big girl Little Bug is! If she doesn't sleep in the cute big girl bed at night at least it's getting some use during the day.

Clay and Katy said...

Sounds like you have had an easy time with it all...you really lucked out! I dreaded potty training too (although it really was as bad as I had thought it would be with Jack!)! Glad things are going so well! What a big girl!

TheKunks said...

Congratulations! So excited to visit again too.

Sweet November said...

I wonder if we loved being naked all the time as kids! LOL.But alas your baby bug is slowing growing into a lady bug! Sad and exciting all at once