21 July 2010

June 19, 2010

I sat in reflection on an old familiar couch in that small Hong Kong apartment. I was in shock my journey was coming to a quick close. I'd been planning on a serving a mission for so long, how could it be ending? I thought about all the hilarious, sad, happy and sorrowful moments I'd shared with people. It was in such a thought I realized how much I loved listening to people and their stories. At that moment I felt like everything was at my fingertips and all I had to do was reach out and grab what I wanted. In that moment of amazement, I decided to get a maters degree in marriage and family therapy.

Once again I find myself sitting on an all too familiar couch thinking back. It is interesting to see how my goal unraveled and how life continued rolling along while I was attending graduate school. I am grateful for the support of my family. In particular, to a mother who joyfully watched, loved and cared for Little Bug while I was in class. I am also grateful for a husband who always happily rearranged his schedule when needed and who never treated his educational goals above my own. It is unfortunate that I am the only one who ended up with a degree because in reality this accomplishment reflects the support and love of so many.









Now in the words of a very wise sister-in-law, "I am retired."

9 comments:

Emily said...

Congratulations! I don't know how you did it with a little one. It's nice to have so much support.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! from the Iowa Kunkels :)

Mary said...

So proud of you... Wish we could have come and cheered at the ceremony. Happy Retirement!

Janelle said...

Congratulations!

Now come hang out with us at playgroup...hehehe

Sweet November said...

So proud of you friend. You inspire me!

hairyshoefairy said...

Congratulations, Melissa! It's definitely something to be proud of! The love the cake. You and your sweet family look beautiful!

Clay and Katy said...

Congrats!!! Clay and I were just talking about when you were going to graduate!! That is great! Where to now?? Miss you Mels :)

TheKunks said...

Way to go! Congratulations supa woman and mama!

Sarah Johnson said...

Yeah, you did it!! so glad to hear that you are retired now. congrats, girl