Well, we just got back from Little Bug's one month appointment. We're excited to share that we have an average child! She was 50th percentile for weight and height, and 75th percentile for head size (I'm hoping that means she inherited Andrew's geniusness). The appointment was all fun and games to her until the doctor needed to check out her mouth. That of course meant sticking one of those extra large popsicle wood things in her mouth to hold her tongue down. She was not a fan. We will just have to see how she handles getting her shots!Now onto a question. Little Bug for the life of her can not sleep during the day! She sleeps a 6-8 hour block at night and then goes down for another 2-3 hours, but by day she won't go down. That is unless I'm holding her or she's in the car. She doesn't even like the swing! I didn't even know it was possible for a baby not to like the swing! I swear kids at this age are suppose to have a solid morning and afternoon nap, right? Well, I'm taking all tips on this subject because my productivity as of late has been severely compromised. I guess I should just be grateful that at least I'm well rested to handle such a task!
8 comments:
Have you tried a sling? Not everyone likes them, but you can wear your little bug and still be able to do other things because your hands are more free. That's still aggravating about not sleeping a little more during the day, though. At least she's sleeping so much at night. That's a blessing.
Good job Melissa! Average is great! She's so cute. Grant's head is in like the 99th percentile.
Sleep! It's really hard sometimes. I used to have to bounce Karen to sleep and then really carefully put her into a moving swing all wrapped up to get her to nap. That only worked like half the time. It's really rough.
I agree with Annie, a sling or carrier is the best. Try taking her for walks every day. Also, make sure she has plenty to eat. Sometimes babies don't sleep because they are hungry but don't necessarily fuss about it.
It does get better when babies get a little older, like 4-5 months. You can start sleep training them. In my opinion Healthy Sleep Habits is the best book on the subject and very worth reading.
One more thing, it's okay for babies to cry. Try putting her down at the same time every day when she seems sleepy or halfway between the time she wakes up and goes to sleep. You can let her cry for a little while to see if she can figure out how to soothe herself. I wouldn't leave her for very long, like maybe 3-5 minutes at a time. Good luck! You know how I love to give advice so feel free to email or call whenever :)
I agree with Lauren about the laying her down at the same time everyday. Babies that age should sleep about every 2 hours, so lay her down, let her suck on her pacifier, even let her cry. Let her cry for about five minutes at a time for about 20 minutes, and work that over a week or so, to crying for 20 minutes at a time. I let both my kids cry it out, and it just took time for them to realize it. But definitely at the age, she should be sleeping about every 2 hours. If she's anything like Andee though, she couldn't sleep with any kind of bubbles, so make sure she's burped really well before you lay her down. And books are really helpful, too. Every kid is different and in some rare cases, some babies just don't sleep during the day. But at least get her used to laying down at the same times every day.
I love the new picture you put up as your header! Also, Marley's hat is adorable!
I don't really have any sleeping advice. It must be very frustrating not to be able to get anything done. The sling did always put Daniel to sleep, but I didn't really think I got much done with it on. I was worried about the sling bumping into things as I moved around our little apartment.
The good news is that she's adorable, way above average in the cute department. The bad news is that is my experience there's not much you can do to teach sleeping habits until 6 weeks-2 months. Until then I've always had to take what I get. I second the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book. It's definitely the best sleep book I've read(I've read a lot). Hope you find something that works.
she is still cute as can be!!! i honestly dont think jack had a good sleeping schedule until he was much older than little marley (my memory is not so good, but he was definitely older). i do remember letting him cry it out several times because i knew he was tired and just wouldnt sleep so i had to call my mom and talk to her while he was crying so i wouldnt go in and he would always eventually fall asleep. it is so hard when swings and such dont work. you will eventually figure out what it takes!!! hang in there!
Well, with my first child, it always helped to feed it generous helpings of food, very frequently throughout the day. There's something so tranquilizing about food. Then I would burp it and bounce it, and also use the sling. The sling works wonders. It's okay to let them cry for a while, but it sure is hard to have to watch and listen to it. Just trust your gut. With little Frank, I was a fan of frequent baths with lavender oil. Even during the day it helped to calm him down and sedate him a bit. Don't worry, Marly is still super young, and it takes time for them to establish semi-functional sleeping habits. Just remember who's boss! xoxo
I know you probably only want good news, but I couldn't get Keira to nap during the day until she was 3-4 months. She slept great at night, but would not nap. So I just had to play with her more. She eventually started going down every couple of hours. Good luck!
Post a Comment