20 November 2008

Baby update

I really can't complain about my pregnancy. Granted the first trimester was not fun, but since then I've been feeling great. That was up until about a week and a half ago, when suddenly I realized moving around was...difficult. Walking, sleeping, sitting, and standing up, all of it, uncomfortable. I decided that it was time for our little one to come out. As of late, I've been trying to talk her into it, but she has yet to be convinced.

We did receive a little good news from what will hopefully be my last prenatal doctors appointment, but I'm trying not to jinx myself by saying that. At the moment I have dilated to 1 cm! I know, it doesn't sound like much but I'm 1/10 the way there and that's something. Granted it's the easiest 1/10, but I'll take it. The really interesting part was while the doctor was checking me, she actually poked the baby's head; hopefully it was more like a gentle touch. She said it was in a great position. Of course Andrew wanted to know if that meant she was coming in the next few days, but basically all it tells us is she's on her way. I guess we already knew that, but it's still fun to hear progress is being made.

Since my first pregnancy is coming to a close, I have been recalling all my little pregnancy nuances that I never knew would be coming my way. I feel they should be recorded and since this blog is as good a place as any, here it goes.
My favorite quirks and lessons learned:
1) I had no idea cravings would suddenly feel like needs. I no longer simply craved things, I needed them.
2) I never really knew how good soda was. Before, I would walk down the soda isle at the grocery store, passing by all the six, twelve, and eighteen packs and wonder, who bought this junk. Suddenly I found myself pregnant and smacking my lips at just the thought of walking down the soda isle. If it were up to me, I would have had the fridge stocked my entire pregnancy. Luckily (or maybe unfortunately), Andrew stepped in on that one and squashed all my soda dreams. I have to admit, I was still able to sneak a few six packs past him.
3) I had no idea someone could work up a sweet going down a flight of stairs.
4) Who knew that flip flops could become too small.
5) And that brings me to apples. I didn’t know anyone could become an apple addict. I had to stop myself from devouring apple after apple. One time after a trip to the grocery store, Andrew saw me putting away multiple bags and different varieties of apples. I watched as his eyes got bigger and I think he was slightly confused as to why we had so many apples.

So there you have it. I wonder what the second time around will bring? But until then, I think I'll focus on coxing our first little one out because, I'll be honest, it's time.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hope she comes soon, and that all goes well. Can't wait to see her...

Jenny said...

I love this post. It's so funny to read about people's prego quirks.

I have to say that if Evan ever tried to squash my soda dreams, we would have to file for a divorce. That's one thing he knows not to mess with me about.

Also, do you like Honeycrisp apples? They are THE best.

Stephanie said...

You are so cute! Fun memories (with the next you'll be too busy with your daughter to even notice the quirks). I can't wait to hear you have a healthy beautiful baby - although they do tend to wait until a day or two AFTER mom is sure it's time!

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

Don't worry! She'll be here before you know it. And when it all starts happening, you're going to start asking yourself, if you're really ready! Good luck!