As of late, I feel like reorganizing everything. Such as, having these strong urges to clean our apartment from top to bottom. And I don't just mean clean here. I mean, tear apart the apartment and put it all back together again kinda urges. You know, like taking on the linen closet by refolding each towel and sheet. Which I did try to do at 12 o'clock last night, but was sadly thwarted by a tired Andrew telling me to get into bed. Now, they tell me this tendency is called nesting and this is what Pregnancy Weekly had to say about it;
Nesting brings about some unique and seemingly irrational behaviors in pregnant women and all of them experience it differently. Women have reported throwing away perfectly good sheets and towels because they felt the strong need to have "brand new, clean" sheets and towels in their home. They have also reported doing things like taking apart the knobs on kitchen cupboards, just so they could disinfect the screws attached to the knobs. Women have discussed taking on cleaning their entire house, armed with a toothbrush. There seems to be no end to the lengths a nesting mother will go to prepare for her upcoming arrival. (http://www.parentingweekly.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_information/nesting_instinct.htm)
Now, I never use to believe in such a phenomenon, but I guess I've been bitten by this strange bug. A few weeks ago, I just had to buy a pumpkin and decorate for Halloween (I've never been inspired to do that before). More recently, I actually became strangely jealous of some friends who moved simply because they got to go through everything they owned and reorganize it. I'd have to say, I became a believer in this so called nesting instinct. Time to go organize and clean - I better cash in on these feelings before it's too late.
20 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It really is a freaky-cool-weird phenomena, but kind of nice to have some energy and drive to do something productive, if not super necessary.
Isn't it funny what being prego does to you? At least your house will be spotless for her arrival. I can't wait to see her.
So strange but so true... you'll clean things you've never cleaned before and never will again. Want to come clean my kitchen? Just kidding...
Melissa...this is whitney you know from paris...How the heck are you? Congrats on being prego! I would love to catch up some time. I know you are probably super busy but whenever you get a chance. my number is (801) 699-8433. I hope everything is well with you!
Yep, the good ole nesting sydrome! When I was pregnant with Damon, I painted our whole kitchen and his room the week before he was born. Isn't it a good thing, though? Get it all done before the baby gets here cuz it ain't happening afterwards for quite a while!
Post a Comment