21 June 2012

Tank turns ONE

First the bad.

Although I am feeling quite nostalgic about Tank's first year coming to a close, I just spent the last hour of my life cleaning up the biggest mess up to date on my journey in motherhood. It all started with me leaving Tank naked while getting a diaper and ended with him and many of his surroundings covered head to toe in poop. No joke, head to toe in poop. Whatever you are imagining, that is what is was.

Perhaps the kicker was after he was all cleaned up and smelling relatively normal, I stepped in the wet spot on the carpet that was still drying from him throwing up the night before at his birthday party. (Apparently, the cousins were sneaking him mass amounts of gummy bears). Or the kicker could be, when I was tucking Little Bug in for her nap she discovered her beloved blanky was covered in her baby brother's poop. Glad she noticed it, but gross.  Needless to say, Tank is not too popular over here at the moment.

Now the good.

We do love just about everything about this little guy. At the moment, he can say 'dada' and 'num num (food)' and he is getting pretty good at telling us 'no.' Especially when it comes to diaper changes. He is also really into waving 'hi' and 'bye bye' to just about everyone...unless, you come to close. He is also thinking about walking, but he not quite there yet.

Onto his big day!

This is the mess Little Bug created while I was making the pies for Tank's birthday party. Although it was not fun scrapping it off the counter top, flour and water can entertain this girl for hours.
 

This is the mess Tank created while I was making pies for his birthday. It is pretty hard to be productive sometimes...


Our happy birthday sign I am loving.


Tank could not stop looking at it, despite all the silly noises I was letting Little Bug make behind me.


Just a pic of our yummy desserts that we all, in particular Tank, enjoyed a little too much of.


I was commenting to Andrew right before family started coming over, that first birthday's seem to be really for the parents. However, I stand to be proven somewhat wrong. This was pretty much the reaction we got from every one of his presents. He loved them all and was genuinely pleased.


Overall, I would say he had a pretty good first birthday. And that evening when all was quiet and clean, I was feeding Tank his last bottle and he fell asleep peacefully in my arms (he has not done that in months). It was one of those perfect moments that makes up for all the 'other' moments. Happy first birthday to a very special little boy.

2 comments:

Clay and Katy said...

I can not believe he is 1!! Happy birthday little man!

TheKunks said...

Cute kid. Amazing what Mom's go thru cleaning up after kiddos. Thank heavens the kids are cute.