29 November 2010

A party two year old style

This year Little Bug requested a "pink cake" and "pink lady cookies." Lady is our word for princess. The reality is Little Bug only likes cake and cookies in theory. She gets excited about them, but won't actually try them. Apparently, it is too risky. However, she is a fan of strawberry ice cream. I thought if there was any hope of Little Bug trying her cake this year I should do an ice cream cake.

She was excited all week as she saw me making lots of pink stuff. She even got to pick out a pair of fancy dress shoes and necklace to match her tutu. Come birthday day, she was thrilled. She even came up to me and told me she wanted to wear her tutu. That's where the excitement ended. She was too excited for the upcoming party to nap and only fell asleep for an hour. This girl needs at least a two hour nap to function happily. Unfortunately, she did not feel like participating after that. I guess she really is two.




This is as close as she got to trying the cake. She couldn't even bring herself to touch it.

When the candles were lite the cake became even more threatening. Daddy was needed.

She was too grumpy to wear anything but her lady shoes.

After the presents, she spent the rest of the time hoarding. She tried diligently to get her new baby bed and herself on top of her new chair, with unforeseen spacial problems.

At least she was pleased with her presents, especially her chair. I saw it in the window of a second-hand store. It looked like it had been used as someone's stepping stool in the garage. So we cleaned it up with some steel wool and oil and then reupholstered it. Little Bug picked the fabric, literally. She rejected every fabric I showed her by stating, "No, I don't like it." So I told her to tell me when she saw a fabric she liked. When she found the pink with polka-dots she exclaimed, "I like it. I want it chair. I hold it." And she was very upset when she had to let go of it for the cashier to ring it up.

Eventually, she relaxed enough to play pedicure/manicure with cousin Z.


From now on, all two year olds get a good nap and a surprise birthday party.

4 comments:

hairyshoefairy said...

I love that she was scared of the cake. Hee! Also? Andrew has a beard! Woah! The chair is darling. It hink it's great she chose the fabric herself. Too funny. I can't believe she's two!

Emily said...

What a cutie! I hope at least the adults had a fun/ungrumpy time. I love that she didn't want to let the fabric go when checking out. I deal with that with Brooks every time I buy milk at the grocery store.

Also, how awesome that Andrew's dissertation is done. Congrats to both of you.

TheKunks said...

Too cute! She is so advanced I keep thinking she turned 3

Laura said...

Darling 2 year old-amazing cake