10 September 2010

Savoring the last bits of summer

This summer I've been meaning to try out canning. Such a desire was mostly inspired by my Aunt's tasty raspberry sauce. The final incentive was Berkeley Bowl selling a pint of raspberries for 89 cents. Surprisingly, all went well. Except for the part where I took to literally the tip of not screwing the jar rings on to tightly to help it seal properly while boiling. While placing my jars in the boiler I lifted my precious jar of sauce and off slipped the ring. Which meant down came the jar. In short this lead to raspberry sauce all down the cupboards, over the flour and left splatters on most the kitchen walls. Little Bug loudly shouted "uh ho" followed my an adamant "I help" and came rushing over to the scene. Besides the occasional sticky step on our flour, the clean up went as well as expected with an almost 2 year old's help. Even with such a mess, my 10 cans of raspberry sauce were certainly worth it. And I am looking forward to trying some freezer jam with the extra berries.

5 comments:

lauren said...

Great pic! You need to join our photo club :)

hairyshoefairy said...

Oh, how I miss Berkeley Bowl! Gotta love the little helpers. The raspberry sauce looks so yummy.

TheKunks said...

super taste! We found some handy quart jars in our garage to donate to the next round of your ambition :)

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

yum! I absolutely love homemade jams/sauce! Wish I dared try to do it, but it looks and sounds so intimidating.

Laura said...

Brovo to you! You ventured into the world of canning and emerged delicious.