14 September 2009

Tasty goodness

Warning: If you are hungry or trying to eat more healthily, I don't suggest reading this post. Seeing sweets when hungry always makes me crave desserts rather that real food. Like when I go to the grocery store when hungry, never a good idea. I inevitably end up coming home with a bag of Oreo cookies or worse.

So lately, I have been wanting my family's homemade cran-raspberry ice cream. I have never made it before and I thought it would be a tasty treat. I have since realized it's essentially frozen whip cream with added sugar and flavoring. I mean who wouldn't like that?! Andrew and I don't actually have an ice cream maker and when I mentioned to Andrew that I was going to buy one, the idea was quickly vetoed. Evidently you don't need an ice cream maker when you have a mass supply of liquid nitrogen. So after a very long day on Saturday, we thought it might be fun to try it out. Andrew brought some liquid nitrogen home and it was definitely faster and more fun than a traditional ice cream maker. The resulting ice cream was creamy, really creamy. So much so, that the next time I make it, I will definitely not be using the full portion of whipping cream. Yeah it was tasty, I just feel really guilty eating it. I happily ate it all weekend long and I just had a bowl of it for lunch.

And that definitely is a parking citation pictured right above Andrew's head...we were at a service project at Fairyland and I was only a couple minutes late getting out to the meter. So, while we were painting it up in Fairyland we got a ticket! Yeah, I'm still grumpy about it. Such a bummer, it's like we got charged for doing the city of Oakland a favor.



Just being silly...it really was a long Saturday.

The tasty masterpiece! I'm telling you it's good! Here's the recipe if interested;
2 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups heavy whipping cream
1 can of cran-raspberry frozen concentrate juice
1 bag of frozen raspberries (smash them)
2 eggs (we didn't add this...kinda grossed us out)
1 1/4 cups milk

If the ice cream wasn't bad enough, I spent the preceding days making a bunch of tarts. Really, a lot of tarts. My parents hosted an open house for a fellow who just got married in the ward and somehow I ended up signing myself up to make dessert. It actually wasn't too bad and ended up being pretty fun...it was just a two day process.

Here are all the tarts filled and ready to be decorated. The kitchen was a nightmare, maybe I should have taken a picture of that?

And the tarts after completion! There were 14 of them. I just wish I had the photography skills to make a really pretty picture out of them. One ended up breaking...ok, I 'accidently' broke it while trying to stack them back in the fridge again. I quickly just claimed that one for Andrew and I...so it worked out well. Click HERE it you are interested in the recipi. All I can say is we are really looking forward to this weekend for some rest!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

We get leftover lab nitrogen or co2 all the time! We'll have to try that! (Usually it's just the kids' fun of freezing soap bubbles). The tarts look gorgeous! Your family's tradition :)

hairyshoefairy said...

ROFL! Liquid Nitrogen! Only engineers. . . .

Oh, yes, the lovely Oakland ticketers. We paid our fair share. Grrr. Those tarts and ice cream both look yummy. I actually am really surprised you could make such stiff, yummy-looking ice cream without a machine! Very cool!

hairyshoefairy said...

Well, I guess Andrew isn't doing engineering, huh? Chemistry, though. Isn't that right??

RC Cola said...

I can't believe you didn't invite us to join in on the ice cream making with the liquid nitrogen. That is so up Rick's alley, and the tarts look beautiful. Just because you guys are in a different ward now doesn't mean we can't ever hang out. Call us sometime for ice cream making or just some games!

Managers.Magnolia said...

Ha! Serious you made all of those!!?! Holy Cow! You pretty much rock

Jenny said...

That is awesome!!!Evan laughed his head off when I read him your post. He said, "I like those two; we should have hung out with them more." Maybe someday he'll learn his lesson - being social is good.

I am so impressed that you fit so many tarts in your refrigerator! They look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, Those tarts look incredible! Way to go!! I had no idea you we part family therapist and part talented caterer!! ;)

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

You were right, I shouldn't have read this post even though it is only 9:30 am I want ice cream and all those delicious tarts you made. I can't believe you made that many. wow! Must have taken all day.

Russ and Debbie said...

wow! those tarts look amazing! And I'm totally going to have to try that ice cream recipe! I'm getting hungry right now!