We started the month with many a late/early nights, depending on how you look at it, cleaning and painting our new apartment. It was tiring and Little Bug didn't do us many favors by waking up at her usual 6:30 AM. I'll be honest, our new apartment was disgusting. It was so bad that I just barely used the kitchen for the first time and that was only because it was Father's Day. We're pretty sure we were cleaning at least 15 years of old yucky college dirt. After we cleaned, we literally painted every surface in our apartment to ensure that it was "clean." This was Andrew's first time painting an apartment and I think he was a little surprised at what a long hard process it can be. When we finally painted our last wall he made some comment on how we were never going to paint again. Which is actually quite sad for me 'cause at some point , as in the next place we move, I'm sure I'll want to do some painting.
We then packed up all our stuff, drove probably about 3 miles away and then unpacked all our stuff. Are you catching onto some painful repetition here? Is that not the lamest move ever?! All that work for a measly 3 miles.
Then almost immediately Andrew started Beam time, which translates into long days at work starting at the beautiful hour of 3:30AM. He finally finished last Saturday and oh what a blessed day it was! Too bad I didn't let him rest too much cause we had the most awful built-in bookshelf in our kitchen (what were they thinking?!) and Andrew woke up from his nap to the noise of me cutting and pushing it off the wall. I am happy to say it is no longer with us.
This leads me back to the subject of our kitchen...it's a big subject. I'll paint just a slight picture for you all; imagine two and a half microwaves, yeah that's the size of our counter space. The cabinets are right above the counter top, so what little counter space we have is depressingly cramped. There is no dishwasher and to make things worse, they put the sink back in the corner where you have to bend over to reach it. Washing dishes here is backbreaking. But things are looking up because while driving to Costco on Saturday (it was the first time grocery shopping since April) we spotted a dishwasher on the side of the road. We talked to the people who were giving it away and sure enough it is in good working order. Score, free dishwasher. So, we've got plans to extend our counter top when we put in our dishwasher and then we'll have some more space! And then all we have left to do is patch the floor and wall where we ripped out that monstrosity of a bookcase. Then I think I'll paint an accent wall...shh don't tell Andrew yet.
After the kitchen we need to direct our attention to our bathroom...cause the door hits the sink and only opens about 75% of the way. Plus the light switch is behind the door. Thoughts anyone?:)
You might be asking at this point, why did you ever move into such a place? Well, it is in walking distance of Andrew's work and it isn't any farther for me to get to school. It is quite fun having him home for two extra hours a day...and the best part, a second bedroom for Little Bug! Which still happens to have a bunch of boxes in it, but it's fun knowing after we're all settled I get to decorate. Andrew is thrilled;) Oh yeah, and we're on the top floor in the corner. There happen to be some trees by our windows and apparently Little Bug has never seen such things because she's enthralled with them.
Then we've got managing stuff to do. A LOT of managing stuff. I realize this is a long post, but I just can't resist adding a bit more about the subject of managing. Andrew just found a maintenance request form from one of our tenants. It reads as follows,
1) Our fire alarm has no more batteries
2) Please install the curtain rods for the 2 bedroom windows
3) Our sink is clogged
4) Our shower drain is clogged
5) Please drill in 2 nails at the top of our shoe rack (by front rack)
Thank you!
Apt. #12
PS: Where do we put our toxic waste?
There are too many things wrong with these requests, but toxic waste pick up is on Thursday. I'll just leave it with the simple statement that we are truly grateful to have the opportunity to manage and can't wait until the day we don't have too:)
And here's a pic for making it through this post!
8 comments:
Wowie! And yikes! Sound exhausting but I hope it will be a good thing for you. Uh, toxic waste? Bwahahaha!
I need some pictures of this kitchen-- at least you have 2 bedrooms.
Oooh boy, you have been busy! At least by the time you have to paint another home Andrew will have forgotten the worst of the pain! And I got your package-- thanks, looks just fine!!
What an eventful few weeks... I feel your pain. I'd love to see pics of your kitchen. I wish we were closer, I'd have come help you paint. As for the bathroom, what about one of those light bulb things that turns on with motion? Sorry I don't know what they're called, call me if you want and I can explain it better.
Can I just say I hate tenants like that? We had all our tenants sign a form that they are responsible for their own smoke alarm batteries, and i absolutely hate it when they ask for the dumbest things....my advice, is don't even start to help them with the little things you aren't responsible for. Tyler did that with a couple tenants and it never ended. AHHHHHH!!!!! So glad to be done managing. That little list just gave me the worst flashbacks of managing idiotic tenants. Good luck with that, sounds like you got your work cut out for you with this new apartment! Kind of fun, though, right?
LOL!For that we deserve another 5 photos of your apartment in its transition phase! can't wait to see it tonight! And that request! Can I just say drain-o is located at ace along with batteries, screws and a Phillips head reversible screw driver!
Wow! That's a lot of work! At least Little Bug can't crawl yet, right? I bet you are exhausted!! Sounds like we have about an equal amount of counter space. That's my biggest complaint about our new place. That will be nice to have Andrew home more! (Evan starts tomorrow and the other residents I met last night told me to kiss him goodbye for a year.) I thought the name "Beam Time" was pretty cute; too bad it's not as nice as the name implies. It sounds like something they would do in sunbeams.
hey girlfriend! since i'm still in town, why don't we schedule a housewarming party at your new pad? and since it's so awesome, and i'll even let you do the cooking in your new kitchen!!!! it sounds like such a wonderful and truly functional space. can i help decorate?
ps i've got this nasty clogged toilet...while ur at it, can you swing on by and help a girl out??
Post a Comment